Thursday, November 29, 2012

Media Cabinet for Me

It has been quite a while since I have been able to finish a piece just for me. There are many pieces I have finished that I would love to keep but just don't have the room to keep everything! We recently repainted most of the house inside & once we had that fresh coat of paint I decided I wanted to change our media cabinet. It was a big beautiful piece but it was actually a buffet that we did have in the dining room & it got moved to the family room when we rid the dining room. It is oversized really big & dark & really just not my style anymore.

But the biggest reason I wanted to get rid of it is because we have the direct tv box hidden in the middle doors & they always have to be open to change the channel. I have always had issues with cabinet doors not being closed. It goes way back, I can remember being at my Mamaw's & always trying to close the cabinet doors but there was always too much stuff! So now you see my dilemma, I had to have a new piece of furniture! I was looking for a midcentury modern triple dresser, I don't know why, that is totally not my style but I just felt like I needed a modern piece in the room. Well, you know MCM is super hot & it was next to impossible to find a large piece that would fit in my cheap modest budget. After weeks of looking, I came across this dresser on Craig's & really liked the legs. So yes, I did buy this dresser just for the legs!

When I got the dresser the lady had just "cleaned" it, it was covered in oil!  I asked her later what she used & she told me she just sprayed it with polish.  Ugh!  I knew it was going to get tons of grease spots with this piece but it was kinda fun to experiment with several different techniques & see what would work.   Here is what I tried, I wiped several areas with different products.  I used:
Simple Green
Sanding Deglosser
Dawn Dishwashing Liquid
Mineral Spirits
Someone had recommended I try Denatured Alcohol but I didn't try that.  I put on a thin coat of paint & allowed to dry.  Here is what happened. 

Spots!  I was expecting them due to the amount of oil on this piece.  I got spots everywhere, re-guardless of what I used to clean it.  The part of the experiment was to see what would "lock" the grease spots in.  I tried wax, Satin Finish & Shellac.  I still got a fair amount of spots with the wax.  The Satin Finish sealed the spots on the sides & front of the dresser but on the top I still had a few come through.  The Shellac was the best for the top, all the spots were sealed in but it has a very strong odor & I would recommend you use it outdoors.  
So now onto the fun part!  I removed the top middle drawer.  Then I pulled out 2 of the drawers from behind the doors & knocked out the supports under the drawer.  I filled the sides, back & bottom with every scrap piece of wood I could find.  I used bead board, MDF, melamine & wood.  I added a piece of trim to the front just to give everything a finished look.  I drilled 2 holes in the back for all the cords.  After 2 coats of paint you will never know what a mix match of materials I used!
I painted the whole dresser with 2 coats of Pittsburgh Gray.  I then did my new favorite paint technique, Vermont Slate Wash.  

This is how wet the mixture is, mostly water & a little bit paint.  It should drip off the brush.  

Brush all until the entire drawer is covered but don't do large areas all at once, it will begin to dry.

Left drawer Pittsburgh Gray, right drawer has Vermont Slate Wash, not wiped off yet.

Right- wet Vermont Slate Wash, middle-wiped off, right-just paint.  Don't you just love the difference that one little step makes?

You can see the shelf I built, you can't tell how many different types of material I used.  

Doors are have wash & are dried, inside I didn't add the wash.

After the wash dried I dry brushed Dover White & then dry brushed on Vermont slate.  I used Satin Finish for protection.  

I purchased the pulls from Hobby Lobby it only took me 3 trips to get all 8!  I spray painted them with Krylon Metal.

Finally, the doors can be closed & we can change the channel!
I have the buffet for sale if anyone is interested, it measures 83"L x 40 1/2"H x 22"D.

Furniture Feature FridaysVisit My 1929 Charmer Blog!Primitive and Proper

Liz Marie Blog
Furniture Feature Fridays


  1. I love it. I have a side table I have been kicking around an idea like this for my next show. Love the wash! Good for you for doing something for your own home!

  2. What a fabulous piece! Your experiment and tutorial is packed with great info, thanx for sharing!!

  3. Wow what a transformation! You did a great job restoring it and it looks great in your home!

  4. Just stopping by from the WOW party to see your gorgeous dresser. I love the paint technique you did on it. I may have to try that on a little table I have in our bedroom. This turned out perfect for a tv console. Great job!

  5. all that storage! bravo on this project.

    hope you'll have a moment to stop by, and i'm hosting a giveaway as well today:

    peace to you.