I was brought this set by a client. She purchased it at an antiques fair, she loved the style & the green color but wanted it a little more shabby chic. The benches are 6 feet long & very heavy! I removed most of the paint from the top of the benches, distressed the sides & added some dark walnut stain to the whole bench. Unfortunately I learned the hard way about putting the stain on & wiping off on the legs. I got a very, very deep splinter close to 1/2" long! I was able to dig around & get half of it out but it broke & it hurts, really, really bad! :( The top was a little more difficult. The original plan was to do the top like the benches, removing most of the paint & staining. As I started sanding the top, I realized we had several fun colors to choose from! Under the green was a lovely neon yellow, purplish gray & dark gray. We decided to completely remove the paint & stain the top but after sanding for a while I realized the dark gray wasn't budging! So I decided to use my stripper. Didn't work, either! My husband finally got the belt sander out & was able to remove the top green layer of paint (the color we wanted to keep) some of the neon yellow & some of the purplish gray but the dark gray was really sticking, we aren't even sure it is paint! So next plan, I took a glob of the green paint to Home Depot & matched it to Martha Stewart Rhododendron Leaf. It is a perfect match!! So I painted the top again & sanded down some areas where we were able to remove all of the other paint colors & roughed up some other areas. Then I wiped on a dark walnut stain, leaving it heavier in some areas & wiped off. I sealed it with 3 coats of wipe on poly in satin. I love the shabby chicness of this piece!!